With Memorial Day just around the corner, this time of year is full of picnics and pitch-ins. It’s grilling season, which means most people expect to eat the picnic staples: hotdogs and hamburgers. While this is a quick and easy way to feed lots of people, burgers won’t please everyone.
Vegetarians have been getting the shaft at picnics for decades because most picnic hosts stick to these traditional options. But rest assured, feeding those who don’t eat meat won’t require lots of extra preparation. Most of the fresh produce you’ll need can be found right here.
Feeding vegetarians may seem foreign to you, but finding tasty meatless recipes is easier than you think! You will be greatly appreciated by simply providing a fresh green salad or even a meatless pasta salad! These light options will provide vegheads with a filling main course or even a healthy side dish for those who still love hotdogs and hamburgers.
So go ahead, visit your local Marsh to pick up the fresh fruits and crisp veggies for these quick and easy veggie recipes. Whether you’re planning for vegetarian guests, or you’d just like to offer a few lighter options, your guests will love these three Memorial Day salads. For more vegetarian recipes, check out our Recipe Box.
Rob & Lisa’s Escape Salad
- ½ of a medium pineapple, cored, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 medium mango, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 4 cups torn salad greens
- 1 cup jicama sticks (2 inch)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ¼ cup KRAFT Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing
- PREHEAT greased grill to medium-high heat. Grill fruit 3 min. on each side or until lightly browned on both sides.
- CUT grilled fruit into 2-inch sticks; place in large salad bowl.
- ADD greens, jicama and tomatoes; toss lightly. Drizzle with dressing just before serving.
Fresh Tomato & Tomatillo Salad
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, divided
- ½ cup KRAFT Zesty Italian Dressing
- 2 cloves garlic
- 10 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 4 tomatillos, each cut into 8 wedges
- 1 small onion, cut in half, thinly sliced
- 2 large tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil
- 2 Tbsp. KRAFT Grated Parmesan Cheese
- CHOP enough cilantro to measure 1 Tbsp.; set aside. Blend dressing, remaining cilantro and garlic in blender until smooth.
- COMBINE 1/2 cup dressing mixture with cherry tomatoes, tomatillos and onions.
- ARRANGE tomato slices on large platter; drizzle with remaining dressing mixture. Top with basil, reserved cilantro, cherry tomato mixture and cheese.
Vegetable Tortellini Salad
- 1 pkg. (9 oz.) refrigerated cheese tortellini
- ½ cup broccoli florets
- ½ cup sliced carrots
- ½ cup red pepper strips
- ½ cup prepared GOOD SEASONS Caesar Dressing Mix
- COOK pasta as directed on package. Meanwhile, place vegetables in large colander.
- POUR cooked pasta and the pasta cooking water over vegetables; drain well. Place in large bowl.
- ADD dressing; toss to coat. Serve immediately. Or, cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.