You can smell the charcoal. Dad’s prepping food in the kitchen. Mom’s giving her two cents about how much seasoning to use. The sound of great steaks crackling on the grill. Dad—your day is finally here.
Sure, Father’s Day has a reputation for bad polo shirts and even worse ties, but if you’re like us, a steak cookout is the way to go.
For some Dads, the taste of the steak is all that matters. For others, it’s considered a great cookout if the house doesn’t burn down.
Some Dads, however, take pride in something that might seem trivial—grill marks.
Oh yes, the famed diamond-shaped pattern, a grill skill that demands to be fawned over by
everyone at the table. We have to admit, when done right, it looks pretty awesome.
Grill Skill #27: Perfect Marks
1. Once the grill grates are heated up, put on the steaks.
2. Cook for two minutes (adjust time accordingly), then, using tongs (never pierce with a fork!),
rotate them 45 degrees.
3. Wait two or three minutes, then flip them over.
4. Cook for two minutes before again rotating 45 degrees.
5. Wait three minutes, then enjoy!
Is your dad one of the “diamond disciples”? Join in our discussion and take a quick poll on our
Facebook page, then share one of your Father’s Day grilling memories in the comments.
And of course, Happy Father’s Day to all the Dads out there! If you’re looking for the perfect
steak to grill this year, check out Marsh’s premium Creekstone Farms Black Angus. Mmmmm. . . mmmm.