The best snacks (fresh fruits, vegetables, low-fat dairy products, whole grains or small portions of nuts) are usually in other aisles.
- Choose granola bars that have 200 or fewer calories, 5 or fewer grams of sugar per 100 calories and at least 3 grams of fiber per serving.
- Pick up a package of biscotti. These crunchy and flavorful Italian sweets are usually lower in fat and calories.
- Choose low-fat, low-sodium popcorn.
- Choose whole-grain crackers; the word “whole grain” or “whole wheat” listed first in ingredients list.
- Look for fruit snacks made with 100% fruit.
- Choose low-salt nuts and stick to one serving.
- Angel-food cake, which is made without egg yolks or shortening, is the lowest-calorie cake choice. Top with fresh fruit or toast it lightly for a caramelized flavor.
Gradually swap chips, cheesy crackers, candy bars, honey buns and other high-calorie snacks for fruits and vegetables, low-fat dairy products, whole grains or small portions of nuts.