Week 4 – Vary Your Protein
Goal for the week: Eat a variety of foods from the protein group each week by following the 3-2-2 Plan:
- 3 days a week serve a lean meat or poultry entrée
- 2 days a week serve a seafood entrée
- 2 days a week serve a meatless entrée consisting of either dry beans and peas, soy, eggs, nuts or non-fat or low-fat dairy products
When we hear the word “protein,” many of us only think of meat and poultry when in fact, seafood, dry beans and peas, eggs, nuts and seeds are all sources of protein too. According to the MyPlate guidelines, protein should fill up one-quarter of our plates, or about 5 ½ ounces every day (based on a 2000-calorie meal plan).
What counts as an ounce?
- 1 oz of lean meat, poultry or fish
- 1 egg
- 1 Tablespoon peanut butter
- ½ ounce nuts or seeds
- ¼ C beans or peas
- To limit saturated fat and cholesterol, choose lean and low-fat sources of meat and poultry. Look for the words “round” and “loin” in the name of the cut for beef and pork.
- Broil, grill or bake instead of frying to reduce calories.
- Choose at least 90% lean ground beef. When browning hamburger, remember to drain off the fat before adding other ingredients.
For more tips on how to buy lean meats, go to Shopping for Meat and Poultry
Recipe of the Week: Mediterranean Stuffed Chicken Breasts
Check back next week for another tip on how to build a healthy diet!
Director of Nutrition and Wellness