60-Minute Bread Sticks
Homemade soup deserves fresh homemade bread. While making a loaf of bread can take hours, the process for making these bread sticks is speedy. The dough rises quickly surrounded by hot water.
- Makes 24 servings (1 bread stick each)
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine 3/4 cup of the all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, sugar, yeast and salt.
2. In a small saucepan, heat milk, water and butter over low heat until warm.
3. Gradually stir milk mixture into flour mixture. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add 1/2 cup all-purpose flour; beat another 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Stir in 1/2 to 1 cup additional flour to make a soft dough.
4. Turn dough out on a floured surface. Knead dough for 5 minutes. Grease a large bowl. Place dough in bowl; cover. Place bowl in a pan of hot water. Let rise for 15 minutes.
5. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray; set aside baking sheet. Turn dough onto a floured surface then divide dough in 24 pieces. Shape into sticks about 3/4-inch thick; place sticks on prepared baking sheet. Cover and let rise for 15 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 425˚F. Brush bread sticks with olive oil, then sprinkle with salt, pepper and sesame seeds. Bake bread sticks for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden.