Baked Macaroni and Cheese
Variations of mac-and-cheese recipes are listed on the menus of many family restaurants. Obviously, even chefs know what the 12-and-under crowd wants to eat. Home cooks appreciate the fact that this dish is economical, high in calcium and a go-to recipe whenever suppertime approaches with no meal plan determined. For variety, substitute other pasta shapes: shell, corkscrew, bow tie or small tubular pasta.
- 5 (1 cup each)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 2-quart casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Prepare macaroni according to package directions. Drain well; set aside.
3. Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour, dry mustard, salt and pepper. Stir until thick and bubbly. Whisk in milk and Worcestershire sauce. Cook, stirring frequently, until thick and bubbly.
4. Combine sharp and mild cheddar cheeses; reserve 1/2 cup for topping. Reduce heat to low and stir in mixed cheeses. Stir in cooked macaroni. Pour into prepared casserole dish or one-cup ramekins, then sprinkle with reserved 1/2 cup cheese and paprika.
5. Bake for 30 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.