Beef and Sausage Lasagna
Lasagna, with its universal appeal, is the ideal dish to serve when entertaining. To simplify preparations, assemble the casserole 24 hours in advance, cover and refrigerate. Then add 10 minutes to the baking time.
1. Brown ground beef, Italian sausage, onion and garlic in a Dutch oven; drain.
2. Drain tomatoes, reserving juice. Coarsely chop tomatoes. Add to meat mixture. Stir in tomato paste, 2 teaspoons of the Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Simmer, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour or until thickened and tomatoes are very soft.
3. Preheat oven to 350°F.
4. Stir together eggs, ricotta cheese, remaining 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
5. To assemble, spread one-third of the meat sauce in a 13×9×2-inch baking dish or lasagna pan. Top with half the noodles. Spread half the ricotta mixture on top. Sprinkle with 1 heaping cup mozzarella cheese and 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese.
6. Top with following layers: one-third meat sauce, remaining noodles, remaining ricotta mixture, 1 heaping cup mozzarella cheese and 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese.
7. Top with remaining meat sauce and remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses.
8. Bake, covered, for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 15 minutes or until sauce is bubbly and cheese is melted and golden brown. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting and serving.