When there’s meatloaf in the oven, the appetizing aroma of onion and beef notifies family members that within the hour, they can sit down to a home-style dinner. Serve mashed, baked or scalloped potatoes alongside. If you’re fortunate enough to have leftovers, sliced meatloaf—reheated or cold—is excellent served between two slices of bread.
- Makes 8 servings
1. Preheat oven to 350˚F.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine beef, tomatoes, oats, onion, bell pepper, egg, salt and black pepper. Mix gently until blended.
3. Turn mixture into a 9×5-inch loaf pan or shape into a free-form 9×5-inch loaf and place on a foil-lined baking sheet. (Or, divide meat mixture between three 5 3/4 ×2 3/4 -inch loaf pans.) Set aside.
4. Stir together ketchup, brown sugar and mustard. Spread on top of meatloaf.
5. Bake 9×5-inch loaf for 1 hour (or small loaves for 40 minutes) or until internal temperature reaches 160˚F.
6. Let rest 10 minutes before slicing.