Biscuits and Sausage Gravy
Aah … the memories this meal will evoke! Ideal for days that demand physical activity, this hearty home-style breakfast is a good source of energy. Light and fluffy buttermilk biscuits, layered with creamy sausage gravy, will stick to your ribs all morning, maybe past noon. Round out the meal with cold milk, orange juice or a bowl of seasonal fruit.
1. For biscuits, in a medium bowl stir together flour, baking powder and salt. With a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Chill 10 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400˚F.
2. Combine buttermilk and honey, whisking until blended. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture; stir just until moistened. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead six to eight strokes.
3. Lightly roll dough into a 9×5-inch rectangle, 1/2 inch thick. Dust top of dough with flour. Fold dough into thirds (as if folding paper to fit an envelope). Reroll dough into a 9×5-inch rectangle; dust top of dough with flour. Fold dough into thirds; gently roll or pat to 3/4-inch thickness. Cut dough with a 2 1/2-inch biscuit cutter. Place biscuits 1 inch apart on baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake biscuits 12 to 14 minutes or until golden.
4. For sausage gravy, in a large saucepan cook sausage. Remove sausage with a slotted spoon and set aside, reserving drippings in saucepan. Add butter to drippings and melt over medium heat. Gradually add flour, whisking constantly until smooth. Gradually stir in evaporated milk, whisking constantly. Return sausage to saucepan and heat until thickened and bubbly. Season with black pepper.
5. Cut biscuits in half horizontally. Serve warm, filled with sausage gravy.