Thick cultured buttermilk produces pancakes with distinct volume and lightness. If you don’t have buttermilk on hand, achieve similar results by mixing 1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice into enough milk to equal 1 cup. Let the mixture stand for 5 minutes to thicken slightly before using in the recipe.
- Makes 4 servings (2 pancakes each)
1. In a large bowl stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
2. In another bowl combine egg, buttermilk, skim milk, melted butter and vanilla; add to dry ingredients. Stir just until moistened.
3. Using 1/4-cup measure, pour batter onto hot griddle or skillet, spreading batter to shape evenly. Cook until bubbles form and pop on surface; flip to finish cooking on opposite side.
4. Serve hot pancakes with butter, syrup and/or jam.