The golden crisp coating on Chicken Parmesan is achieved by triple-coating chicken breasts before sautéing. Seasoned flour gives the egg mixture a surface to cling to, which allows Parmesan-flavored bread crumbs to adhere. Herbed pasta sauce and mozzarella confirm the dish’s Italian roots.
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Spread 1 cup pasta sauce in a 13×9×2-inch baking dish.
2. Place chicken breasts between two pieces of plastic wrap. Pound to 1/2-inch thickness with a meat mallet or rolling pin.
3. In a shallow bowl, combine flour, salt and pepper. In another shallow bowl, whisk together egg and skim milk. In a third shallow bowl, combine bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.
4. Dredge a chicken breast in flour mixture; shake off excess. Dip in egg mixture; let excess drip off. Dredge in bread crumb mixture; shake off excess. Repeat with remaining chicken breasts.
5. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add breaded chicken, in batches if necessary, and cook for 3 minutes or until golden brown. Turn with a spatula and cook 3 minutes more or until golden brown. Place in prepared baking dish.
6. Spoon remaining pasta sauce on chicken. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
7. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until sauce is bubbly and cheese is melted. Serve with linguine, if desired.