Coconut Cream Pie
Tender, creamy filling in a prebaked crust topped with toasty meringue is the ultimate satisfaction for a coconut-lover’s craving. To slice through meringue cleanly, dip the knife in water before cutting each piece.
- Makes 8 servings
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Separate egg yolks from whites; set aside whites for meringue.
2. In a medium saucepan, combine 3/4 cup sugar and cornstarch. Gradually stir in milk. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from heat.
3. Lightly beat egg yolks with a fork. Gradually stir about 1 cup of the hot milk mixture into the yolks. Pour egg yolk mixture into hot mixture in saucepan. Return to heat; cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Stir in 1 cup coconut, butter and 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla. Keep filling warm.
4. For meringue, in a large mixing bowl combine egg whites, 1 teaspoon vanilla and the cream of tartar. Beat with electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time until stiff, glossy peaks form.
5. Pour warm filling into baked pastry shell. Spread meringue over warm filling; seal meringue to edge of crust. Top with remaining 1/4 cup coconut.
6. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Chill for 3 to 6 hours before serving.