Frosted Cinnamon Rolls
Looking for a thoughtful way to lift drooping spirits? Serve a pan of cinnamon rolls—fresh from the oven. The anticipation and sensation of biting into warm frosted cinnamon-swirled sweet rolls is sure to bring a smile.
1. For dough, in a large bowl combine milk, 1/2 cup butter, sugar, eggs and salt. In a small bowl, combine yeast and warm water; let proof for 2 to 3 minutes. Combine yeast mixture with milk mixture, stirring to mix well.
2. Gradually add 4 cups of the flour. Knead in remaining flour for about 5 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic. Place dough in a large greased bowl; cover and let rise until doubled (1 to 1 1/2 hours).
3. For caramel bottom, in a medium saucepan combine heavy cream, 2 tablespoons butter and 3/4 cup brown sugar. Heat over medium heat until butter is melted. Pour into a greased 13×9×2-inch baking pan; set aside.
4. Punch down dough and turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll the dough into a 16×12-inch rectangle. For filling, brush with 1 tablespoon melted butter. Sprinkle with ¾ cup brown sugar and cinnamon. Roll the dough into a tight cylinder. Pinch dough together to close the cylinder, securing the seam. Stretch to 18 inches long. Using a serrated knife, cut into 12 evenly sized rolls.
5. Place rolls in prepared caramel-lined baking pan. Cover with greased plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm place until the rolls have nearly doubled in size and are pressed against one another (45 to 60 minutes).
6. Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until tops are golden.
7. For frosting, with electric mixer beat together powdered sugar, margarine, evaporated milk and almond extract until smooth. Spread slightly cooled cinnamon rolls with frosting.
Quick Tip: To scald milk, heat in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring frequently, until temperature reaches 180°F to 185°F and tiny bubbles form at the edge of the saucepan. Do not boil.