Frosted Sugar Cookies
For softer cookies, roll out the dough fairly thick and remove the cookies from the oven before they start to brown.
- 20 min.
- 6 min.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and salt until combined.
- In a large bowl, beat powdered sugar, butter, egg and extract with an electric mixer on medium until combined. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Divide dough in half. Slightly flatten each half into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap; chill 1 to 2 hours or until firm enough to roll out.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough ¼- to ⅜-inch thick. Cut into shapes with cookie cutters; place cutouts on cookie sheets about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 6 to 9 minutes or until set and bottoms just begin to brown. Remove from the cookie sheets; cool on wire racks.
- Tint Royal Icing with paste food coloring and decorate cookies, if desired. Add star candies to trees, if desired. Let stand 1 hour or until set. Store in an airtight container for up to three days.
In a large mixing bowl, combine powdered sugar, meringue powder, cream of tartar and warm water. Beat with an electric mixer on low for 1 minute or until combined. Beat on high for about 5 minutes or until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Use immediately or cover and chill for up to 48 hours. Keep icing covered when not using to prevent it from drying out.