Glazed Holiday Turkey
Choose from among three glazes to add delicious flavor and a golden sheen to your roast turkey.
- 15 min.
- 2 hrs. 45 min.
- 12 to 15
- Thaw turkey, if frozen.
- Place oven rack in lowest position. Preheat oven to 425°F. Remove giblets and neck from turkey cavities. Rinse turkey with cold running water. Drain well; pat dry with paper towels. Twist wings tips under back. Tie legs together with kitchen twine. Place breast side up on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Brush entire turkey with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pour 1 cup water into bottom of roasting pan. Roast the turkey for 30 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325°F. Continue roasting about 2 hours or until a food thermometer inserted in deepest part of thigh reaches 150°F.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan combine ingredients for glaze of choice. Bring to boiling; reduce heat and simmer until slightly thickened and reduced by half, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat. Remove bacon from Orange-Maple Glaze.
- Remove turkey from oven and brush with glaze. Return to oven for 15 minutes.
- Brush turkey again with glaze. To limit browning, tent turkey loosely with foil. Continue roasting until internal temperature of thigh reaches 165°F. Remove from oven; let stand 15 minutes before carving.
Orange-Maple-Bacon Glaze: In a small saucepan, combine ½ cup maple syrup, ½ cup orange juice, ¼ cup chicken broth, 2 teaspoons orange zest, 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard and 2 slices crisp-cooked bacon. Cook over medium heat until heated through. Remove bacon slices before glazing.
Apple-Sage Glaze: In a small saucepan, combine ½ cup apple jelly, ½ cup apple juice or cider, ¼ cup chicken broth, 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard, 2 teaspoon chopped fresh sage and 2 tablespoons butter. Cook over medium heat until jelly is melted.
Apricot-Rosemary Glaze: In a small saucepan, combine ½ cup apricot preserves, ½ cup apple juice, ¼ cup chicken broth, 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard, 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary and 2 tablespoons butter. Cook over medium heat until jelly is melted.
NUTRITION FACTS PER SERVING OF TURKEY: 381 calories, 9 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 221 mg cholesterol, 704 mg sodium, 0 g carbohydrates, 0 g fiber, 0 g sugar, 76 g protein. Daily Values: 29% vitamin A, 0% vitamin C, 51% calcium, 2% iron.