Originally a Hungarian beef and vegetable stew seasoned with paprika, this popular ethnic dish has nearly as many versions are there are cooks who prepare it. Even as recipes were tweaked and handed down from one generation to the next, this hearty dish has maintained its main ingredients of beef, tomatoes and pasta. This recipe stands out because of its intriguing combo of seasonings.
- Makes 9 servings (1 1/2-cups each)
1. In a Dutch oven brown ground beef over medium-high heat. Drain and return to Dutch oven. Add onions to the beef and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes.
2. Stir in water, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, garlic, bay leaves, soy sauce, Italian seasoning and seasoned salt. Cover and cook 25 minutes.
3. Stir in macaroni; cover and simmer over medium-low heat for 20 minutes.
4. Remove Dutch oven from heat. Let stand for 30 minutes. Remove and discard bay leaves before serving.