Grilled Brats with Colorful Pickled Vegetables
The unusual topping of pickled vegetables adds a new twist to a traditional grilled favorite. It’s intensely crunchy and refreshing right out of the refrigerator.
- 30 min.
- 25 min.
- Makes 8 to 10 servings
1. Three hours or up to one day before grilling, prepare pickled vegetables. In a small saucepan, combine vinegar, sugar, salt and celery seed. Bring to boil, stirring just until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat; stir in water. Cool.
2. Meanwhile, prepare vegetables; place in a large bowl. Pour vinegar mixture over vegetables. Cover and chill in refrigerator for 2 to 24 hours.
3. Heat grill for direct cooking to medium-low heat. Place foil pan on the grill grate over direct heat. Add beer, apple juice or water; heat until liquid gently simmers.
4. Add brats. Cover with foil; cook for 12 to 15 minutes or until internal temperature of brats reaches 160˚F.
5. Remove brats; place on grill grate over direct heat. (If grill space is limited, using a grill mitt for hand protection carefully pull pan with liquid off of direct heat.) Grill brats about 10 minutes, turning occasionally, until brown.
6. To serve, place grilled bratwursts in buns. Using a slotted spoon, top with pickled vegetables.