Grilled Strawberry Shortcake
The toasty flavor of lightly grilled pound cake makes it the perfect accompaniment for luscious summer berries and sweetened whipping cream.
- 20 min.
- 10 min.
1. Soak skewers for 30 minutes.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, toss strawberries with sugar. Let stand for 15 minutes to release juices. Spray grill rack or grill pan with nonstick cooking spray. Heat grill or grill pan to medium-high heat.
3. Meanwhile, in a chilled small mixing bowl combine cream, powdered sugar and vanilla. Beat with electric mixer on medium until soft peaks form (tips curl). Chill until ready to serve.
4. Thread strawberries onto skewers, reserving juice.
5. Slice pound cake loaf into 6 thick slices. Place cake slices on grill grate and grill for 1 to 2 minutes, turning once. Grill strawberry skewers about 3 minutes or until grill marks appear.
6. To serve, place cake slices on dessert plates. Top with whipped cream. Slide strawberries off skewers and arrange over top. Drizzle with reserved strawberry juice.