Ham and Bean Soup
Stir up memories of long-cooking bean soup with this simpler, much quicker version. It may be that this recipe has even more flavor than those bowlfuls stored away in memory. The combination of diced ham and a ham shank provides abundant smoked pork taste. And because it’s fast, easy and delicious, this comfort dish may be prepared and served more often.
- Makes 8 servings (1 cup each)
1. Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrots and celery. Sauté for 10 minutes.
2. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
3. Add chicken broth, water, diced ham, ham shank, oregano, bay leaf and 2 cans of beans. Cover and bring to a low boil for 10 minutes. Stir; reduce heat and partially cover. Simmer for 30 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, mash remaining can of beans with a potato masher until thick and creamy. Stir into soup; blend well.
5. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes to heat through.
6. Remove ham shank. Cut any meat from bone. Add meat to soup. Discard shank bone and bay leaf.