Holiday Meringue Trees
Egg whites and sugar make meringues light and airy, creating a standout treat among the seasonʼs heavy desserts. Studded with metallic nonpareils, these holiday trees are an elegant addition to any platter.
- 30 min.
- 2 hrs.
- Preheat oven to 200°F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar. Place bowl over saucepan of simmering water. Whisk egg white mixture until sugar has dissolved.
- Pour egg mixture into a clean bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on medium until soft peaks form (tips curl). Continue beating on high speed until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight).
- Carefully transfer meringue to a resealable plastic bag and cut a corner. Pipe tree shapes 1 inch apart onto prepared cookie sheet. Decorate with nonpareils.
- Bake for 2 hours. Turn off oven; let meringues dry in oven with door slightly open for 1 hour. Lift meringue trees off paper. Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
NUTRITION FACTS PER COOKIE: 28 calories, 0 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 7 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrates, 0 g fiber, 7 g sugar, 0 g protein.
Daily Values: 0% vitamin A, 0% vitamin C, 0% calcium, 0% iron.