Homestyle Beef Stew
Ready to take basic beef stew from ordinary to exceptional? Coat the beef cubes with flour before browning them; they’ll form a golden crust that seals in juices, enhances appearance and boosts flavor. Add the vegetables after the meat has simmered to tenderness; they’ll cook yet keep their shape and flavor.
- Makes 9 servings (1 cup each)
1. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Coat stew meat with flour; add to Dutch oven and brown with onion.
2. Stir in water, tomatoes, salt, sugar, paprika and bay leaf. Cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours.
3. Add potatoes, carrots and celery. Cover and simmer 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
4. Remove and discard bay leaf. In a small bowl, stir together cornstarch and cold water until smooth. Stir into stew and heat through.