Hot Beef Sandwiches Deluxe
Not your ordinary diner entrée, this hearty make-ahead-and-reheat sandwich boasts bakery French bread, convenient flavored mashed red potatoes and rich gravy made with beef juices, wine and Dijon. It’ll drive tailgating neighbors crazy.
- 30 min.
- 2.5 hrs.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Using a sharp knife, make 6 1-inch-deep slits in roast about 3 inches apart; insert garlic clove halves. Rub roast with olive oil and coat with seasoning.
- In a large skillet over medium-high, sear roast on all sides. Place carrots, celery and onion in the bottom of a roasting pan. Place roast over vegetables. Add enough water to pan to cover the vegetables. Cover and roast about 2½ hours or until internal temperature of meat reaches 145°F. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, remove vegetables from roasting pan; discard. Strain pan juices, reserving 6 cups liquid. In a large skillet, melt butter; whisk in flour to make a roux. Whisk in wine, beef base, mustard and Worcestershire sauce. Whisk in reserved pan juices. Cook until thickened and bubbly. Let cool.
- Slice the roast into ¼-inch slices and let cool; place in the unheated removable insert of a slow cooker*. Pour cooled gravy over beef to cover the sliced beef. Cover insert with aluminum foil and refrigerate until one to 2 hours before serving.
- When ready to reheat, place insert into slow cooker and heat on low setting until gravy and meat are hot, one to two hours.
- In a large bowl, combine boiling water and instant mashed potatoes; stir with a fork to moisten. Serve sliced beef on French bread topped with mashed potatoes and drizzled with gravy. Garnish with French fried onions.
*Note: If slow cooker does not have removable insert, chill sliced beef and gravy in a covered bowl and transfer to slow cooker when ready to heat.