Hot German Potato Salad
Cooked in a foil packet, the piquant, sweet-sour flavors are superb in this robust old-world salad.
- Makes 8 side-dish servings
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Fold a 36×18-inch piece of heavy foil in half to make an 18-inch square; set aside.
2. In a skillet, cook bacon over medium-high heat until brown and crisp. Remove bacon from skillet with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Pour 1/4 cup drippings from skillet into a small bowl.
3. Place potatoes in center of foil. Combine onion, sugar, flour, salt, celery seed and pepper; sprinkle over potatoes. Pour bacon drippings and vinegar over all. Sprinkle bacon on top.
4. Bring up 2 opposite edges of foil; seal with a double fold. Fold remaining edges to completely enclose potatoes, leaving space for steam to build. Place foil packet in oven. Bake for 1 hour, or until potatoes are tender. When potatoes are done, carefully open packet and transfer potatoes to a serving bowl. Toss with radishes.
Quick Tip: You can also grill the packet directly over medium coals for 40 minutes or until potatoes are tender, turning the packet occasionally.