Mile-High Coconut Cake
If ever there was a cake to surpass a coconut-lover’s dreams, it would be this one. Rich cream of coconut and coconut milk impart intense coconut flavor to four layers of tender, white cake. Sweet coconut nestles in the cream cheese frosting between each layer while big, crisp coconut flakes coat the outside.
- 50 min.
- 30 min.
1. Butter four 8- or 9-inch cake or springform pans. Line each with parchment paper cut to fit bottom. Butter parchment; dust pan sides with flour, tapping out excess.
2. Position oven racks in top third and bottom third of oven. Preheat oven to 350˚F.
3. For cake, in a large bowl stir together cake flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
4. In another large bowl, beat together sugar and butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy. Beat in cream of coconut, vanilla and coconut or almond extract.
5. With mixer on low speed, add flour mixture alternately with the 1 1/3 cups coconut milk, scraping sides of bowl between additions.
6. In a large bowl, beat egg whites with whisk attachment on high speed until stiff peaks form. Fold egg whites into batter, one-third at a time, until smooth.
7. Divide batter evenly among prepared pans, about 2 1/2 cups per pan. Bake for 26 to 32 minutes or until evenly browned and a toothpick inserted in center of cakes comes out clean.
8. Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from pans; remove parchment and cool completely.
9. For frosting, in a large bowl beat together cream cheese, butter, 3 tablespoons coconut milk, vanilla and coconut or almond extract on medium-high until smooth and creamy, about 3 minutes. Gradually beat in powdered sugar until smooth.
10. To assemble cake, reserve layer with the most rounded top for top layer. Place one layer, rounded side up, on cake plate; spread evenly with 3/4 cup frosting and sprinkle with 1/3 cup sweetened coconut. Top with another layer, rounded side up; spread with 3/4 cup frosting and sprinkle with 1/3 cup sweetened coconut. Top with a third layer, rounded side down; spread with 3/4 cup frosting and sprinkle with 1/3 cup sweetened coconut. Top with final layer; spread with 3/4 cup frosting.
11. Spread remaining frosting on sides of cake. Coat top and sides of cake with coconut flakes, pressing in gently.
Quick Tip: One 13.5-ounce can of coconut milk gives you 1 1/3 cups needed for the cake and another 3 tablespoons to use in the frosting.