Monterey Barbecue Chicken Breasts
A sweet and tangy homemade barbecue sauce adds remarkable flavor to this cheese-topped chicken griller.
- 20 min.
- 16 min.
- Makes 4 servings
1. For barbecue sauce, in a medium saucepan heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in tomato paste, water, brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper and chili powder. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, uncovered, for 4 to 5 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Cover and keep warm.
2. Meanwhile, heat grill for direct cooking to medium-high heat. Drizzle each side of the bread slices with 1/2 teaspoon of the olive oil. Coat chicken with remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil; season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
3. Grill chicken over direct heat for 6 to 8 minutes per side or until chicken is no longer pink (165˚F), topping with cheese the last 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from grill.
4. Meanwhile, grill bread over indirect heat for 2 to 4 minutes per side until toasted.
5. To serve, place 1/4 cup arugula on each toasted bread slice. Top with chicken. Spoon on warm barbecue sauce.