Multigrain Strawberry Bars
Packed with whole grains, these energy bars feature a mildly sweet, ready-made filling of reduced-calorie strawberry preserves. The smooth flavor balance of pecans, coconut, fruit and toasted oats pairs perfectly with the richness of a chocolate drizzle on top.
- 30 min.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9×9-inch baking pan with foil, extending the foil over the edges. Spray foil with nonstick spray; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine ¾ cup oats, ⅓ cup whole wheat flour, ⅓ cup brown sugar, ¼ cup pecans, wheat germ and ½ teaspoon cinnamon. Stir in ¼ cup canola oil and whole egg. Press mixture evenly into bottom of prepared pan. Bake for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine ¼ cup oats, ⅓ cup whole wheat flour, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, ¼ cup pecans, ¼ teaspoon cinnamon, and coconut. Stir in 2 tablespoons canola oil and egg white. Stir mixture with a fork until well combined.
- Spread preserves over hot crust. Scatter oat mixture over top. Bake for 15 minutes or until topping begins to brown. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine chocolate chips and shortening. Cook on 100% power (high) for 30 to 60 seconds or until melted,
- Use foil to lift uncut bars out of pan. Cut into squares. Drizzle bars with melted chocolate. Chill in refrigerator until chocolate sets. For convenience and portability, wrap bars individually in plastic wrap. Store in refrigerator for up to 1 week.