Old-Fashioned Strawberry Shortcake
Simple ingredients have made biscuit shortcake a relied-upon dessert for generations. Although strawberries are the traditional favorite, shortcake showcases any fruit that’s in peak season.
- Makes 8 servings
1. In a medium bowl, combine strawberries, sugar and vinegar. Stir gently and set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 400˚F.
3. In a large bowl, beat together sour cream, butter and egg with electric mixer until smooth.
4. In a medium bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Stir into sour cream mixture until combined.
5. On a greased baking sheet, spoon dough into eight mounds. Bake for 14 to 16 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
6. Split each shortcake in half horizontally and serve topped with strawberry mixture and whipped topping.