Pepper and Herb Encrusted Flank Steak
A wet rub of fresh herbs and piquant spices “marinates” the meat several hours in the refrigerator before grilling. Complement its bold flavor with cooling sides such as creamy coleslaw, juicy corn on the cob and chilled watermelon slices.
- 10 min.
- 12 min.
- Makes 6 servings
1. Pat steak dry with paper towels. Place steak on plastic wrap at least twice its length. Rub evenly with salt.
2. In a small bowl, stir thyme, rosemary, black pepper, garlic, crushed red pepper, brown sugar and olive oil into a paste; rub over steak, distributing evenly.
3. Wrap steak tightly in the plastic wrap. Refrigerate on a plate 2 to 24 hours.
4. Heat grill for direct cooking to high heat.
5. Grill steak for 8 to 12 minutes for medium-rare doneness (145˚F), turning once halfway through grilling.
6. Remove steak; tent with foil and let rest for 10 minutes. Thinly slice steak diagonally across the grain.