Picnic Mini Cherry Pies
For a sweeter, more golden pie, lightly brush the top pastry with milk and sprinkle with granulated sugar before baking.
- 30 min.
- 20 min.
- 4 (1/2 mini pie each)
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. In a medium bowl, combine cherries, sugar and tapioca; set aside.
2. For pastry, in a large bowl stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until pieces are pea size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the water over part of the flour mixture; toss with a fork. Push moistened pastry to side of bowl. Repeat moistening flour mixture, 1 tablespoon of the water at a time, until flour mixture is moistened. Gather flour mixture into a ball, kneading gently until it holds together. Divide pastry into four portions.
3. On a lightly floured surface, roll out one portion of dough into an 8 1/2-inch circle. Ease pastry into a mini pie pan. Fill pastry with half of the cherry mixture. Trim pastry even with edge of pie plate.
4. Roll another portion of pastry into an 8 1/2-inch circle. Using a sharp knife, cut slits in pastry. Place the pastry circle on top of filled pastry. Trim to ½ inch beyond edge of plate. Fold top pastry edge under bottom pastry. Crimp edge as desired.
5. Repeat for second pie, using remaining pastry and cherry mixture. Place pies in oven. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until filling is bubbly and pastry is golden. Cool pies on a wire rack.