Popcorn Trail Mix
Dried fruit, nuts and dark chocolate let you indulge in a holiday popcorn treat—and maybe even sneak in some extra nutrients. Using coconut oil instead of canola oil or butter cuts fat and calories.
- 30 min.
- 5 min.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a heavy 3- to 4-quart saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons coconut oil until melted. Add popcorn kernels. Shake pan so all kernels are coated with oil. Cover pan and cook over medium-high heat for 4 to 5 minutes, shaking pan occasionally and partially lifting the lid to let steam escape. When the popping slows, remove the pan from the heat and transfer the popcorn to a large bowl. Sprinkle with salt. Let cool.
- Stir walnuts and pepitas into popcorn; toss and spread mixture onto prepared baking sheet.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a medium saucepan, combine 1 tablespoon coconut oil, honey, sugar and pumpkin spice; bring mixture to boiling. Cook over medium heat for 1 minute, stirring constantly, until sugar is dissolved. Pour over popcorn mix; toss to coat. Bake 5 minutes or until lightly toasted. Stir; let cool in pan on wire rack.
- Transfer mix to a large serving bowl. Stir in cranberries and chocolate chips. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.