Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
Feature these colorful cupcakes at a Christmas party, birthday celebration or Independence Day gathering. The large batch of bright color cupcakes feeds a crowd and adds to the festive spirit of any celebration.
- Makes 36 servings (1 cupcake each)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line muffin tins with paper liners.
2. With an electric mixer, beat together 1 1/2 cups butter and sugar until very light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add red food coloring and 2 teaspoons vanilla; beat well. Scrape down sides of bowl.
3. Whisk together flour, cocoa and salt. Alternately add buttermilk and cocoa mixture to red batter in three parts, beginning with buttermilk and ending with dry ingredients. Scrape down bowl.
4. In a small bowl, stir together vinegar and baking soda. Add to batter and mix well. Scrape down bowl.
5. Divide batter among the prepared muffin cups. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Cool in the tins for 10 minutes. Remove from tins and cool completely on a wire rack.
6. For frosting, beat together cream cheese and remaining 1/4 cup butter until light and fluffy. Beat in remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla. Slowly add powdered sugar and beat until smooth. Frost cooled cupcakes.