Roast Prime Rib
Ask Marsh Meat Department experts for the “first cut.” This cut comes from the loin end of the steer and has the biggest eye, or meaty portion. For easier carving, ask a butcher to cut the bones away from the roast and tie them back on with kitchen string.
- 10 min.
- 3 hrs.
- Thirty minutes before roasting, remove beef rib roast from refrigerator and let come to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a small bowl, combine peppercorns, garlic and olive oil; rub mixture evenly onto all surfaces of beef roast.
- Place roast, fat-side up, in a shallow roasting pan. Insert ovenproof meat thermometer so tip is centered in thickest part of beef, not resting in fat or touching bone. Do not add water or cover. Roast in oven for 2¼ to 2½ hours for medium-rare (135°F) or 2½ to 3 hours for medium doneness (145°F).
- Transfer roast to carving board; tent loosely with aluminum foil. Let stand for 15 to 20 minutes. (Temperature will continue to rise about 10°F to 15°F to reach 145°F for medium-rare or 160°F for medium.)
- Carve roast; season with salt, as desired. Serve with Horseradish-Fennel Sauce and/or Herbed au Jus.