In the South, bacon drippings, rather than butter, would be used to flavor the batter and grease the skillet for this mainstay side dish.
- Makes 8 servings
1. Preheat oven to 400˚F.
2. Place butter in a 9-inch cast-iron skillet and place in hot oven for 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a large bowl whisk together buttermilk, eggs, sugar and salt.
4. In a medium bowl, combine cornmeal, flour and baking soda; set aside.
5. Remove skillet from oven and carefully pour all but about 1 teaspoon melted butter into buttermilk mixture. Stir cornmeal mixture into buttermilk mixture and whisk until mostly smooth.
6. Pour batter into hot skillet and bake 25 minutes or until golden and edges pull away from sides of skillet.
7. Remove from oven and cool slightly. Serve warm.