Spring Vegetable Soup
This light soup is laden with carrots, asparagus and peas simmered in a fragrant broth. If you like, top each serving with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
- 10 min.
- 15 min.
- Makes 6 side-dish servings (1 1/2 cups each)
1. Remove and discard green, leafy portion of leeks; thinly slice white and light green portions. In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium-low heat. Cook leeks and garlic until softened, about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Add broth, tomatoes and carrots; bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
3. Stir in asparagus, peas and thyme; cover and simmer for 4 to 5 minutes or until asparagus is tender.
4. Stir in parsley, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
Quick Tip: To clean leeks effectively, trim them, then slit them lengthwise about a third of the way through. You can then open the leaves a little and wash away any stubborn dirt from between the layers under cold running water.