Strawberry-Rhubarb Crumble Bars
The sweetness of strawberries plays off tart rhubarb in this delectable crumb bar, perfect for a summer picnic.
- 24 min.
- 34 min.
1. In a medium saucepan, combine rhubarb, strawberries and lemon juice. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cover and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until fruit is softened.
2. Stir together granulated sugar and cornstarch; stir into fruit mixture. Bring to a simmer. Cook and stir over medium heat about 1 minute or until mixture thickens. Remove from heat. Set aside to cool slightly.
3. Preheat oven to 375˚F. In a large bowl, beat together flour, oats, butter, brown sugar, baking soda and salt with an electric mixer until crumbly. Reserve 1 1/2 cups mixture for topping; press remaining mixture into bottom of an ungreased 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
4. Spread strawberry-rhubarb mixture over crust; sprinkle with reserved crumbs.
5. Bake for 32 to 37 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely before cutting into bars.
Quick Tip: Store the bars, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. For longer storage, place bars in a single layer in an airtight container and freeze for up to 1 month. Thaw at room temperature to serve.