Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
Small stuffed mushrooms, familiar when served as hors d’oeuvres, become a heartier dish in this recipe using larger portobello mushrooms. Fill the mushroom caps, which become edible bowls, with cheesy brown rice. Serve as a main dish with a feta-studded Greek salad or as a hearty side dish.
- Makes 4 servings (1 mushroom each)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Place the mushrooms, undersides up, on a broiler pan.
2. In a medium skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute. Reduce heat to low and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until onions are softened and golden brown.
3. Stir cooked rice into onion mixture and heat through. Remove from heat and stir in cheese. If desired, season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Evenly divide rice mixture among mushroom caps. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until rice filling is heated through and mushrooms are tender. Serve warm or at room temperature topped with cheese shavings.