A variation on the French sandwich known as a croque monsieur (toasted ham and cheese), the croque madame is topped with a fried egg. The waffle base allows rich cheese sauce to settle into all the pockets.
- 45 min.
- Lightly grease and preheat a waffle maker according to the manufacturer’s directions. Use a regular waffle maker.
- For waffles, separate eggs. Place yolks in a medium bowl and whites in a small mixing bowl; set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, cornmeal, malted milk powder, baking powder, sugar and salt. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture; set aside.
- In bowl with egg yolks, add milk and oil. Whisk mixture together to combine well; set aside.
- Beat egg whites with an electric mixer on medium to high until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight); set aside.
- Add egg yolk mixture all at once to the flour mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter will be slightly lumpy). Gently fold beaten whites evenly into mixture.
- Add batter to preheated waffle maker. Close lid quickly and bake according to manufacturer’s directions until waffle is golden brown. When done, use a fork to lift waffle off grid; keep warm in a 200°F oven. Repeat with remaining batter.
- For Béchamel sauce, in a small saucepan heat butter over medium heat until melted. Whisk in flour until smooth. Slowly whisk in milk. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer for 5 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; add cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To assemble, place a waffle on dinner plate. Top with ham, ¼ cup Béchamel sauce and fried egg. If desired, sprinkle with black pepper and top with chives.
Nutrition facts per serving: 439 calories, 20 g fat, 6 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat,
277 mg cholesterol, 1,005 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrates, 1 g fiber, 11 g sugar, 27 g protein. Daily Values: 16% vitamin A, 3% vitamin C, 53% calcium, 18% iron.